- Native of Glynn County, Georgia
- Attended public schools and graduated from Glynn Academy
- Served 2 years in U.S. Navy during World War II
- Graduate of Emory University
- Married for 50+ years – Majorie died in 2001, 2 adult children
- Married schoolmate – Joyce in 2003
- Resides at beach on St. Simons Island, Georgia
- Salvation Army: Life member, former Chairman of Advisory Board
- St. Mark’s Episocpal Church: Served as Senior Warden for 6 years
- St. Mark’s Towers, Inc.: A 15O-Unit, 6-story retirement center in Brunswick. Served as Chairman of Committee to organize it in 1982, past president; presently serving on the board.
- Museum of Coastal History and the Coastal Georgia Historical Society: Approximately 825 members, located at St. Simons Lighthouse; served 8 years on its board; as president from 1990 to 1992; awarded “Cunningham Bowl” and was made “Honorary Trustee.”
- Brunswick Glynn County Chamber of Commerce: Formerly served on board and as Vice Chairman.
- Blue Print Brunswick, Inc. (non-profit): Served on board. Board consisted of area’s business and community leaders for enhancements of Brunswick.
- Member of Brunswick Rotary Club and recipient of “Paul Harris Fellow” and “Will Watt” Award, formerly served as president.
- Member of several golf and other private clubs.